Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Our daughters birth story.

The original due date that my husband and I were given was January 11th, 2013, then it was January 9. My husbands coworkers had made a pool bet on what day she was going to be born. His boss bet on January 3rd. I woke up at 6am that morning from a restless night, by the end of the pregnancy I was so uncomfortable I couldn't sleep, and had to make about 10 bathroom runs a night. It was frustrating. My pj pants felt a little wet, from 3am to this point I was having what I thought were Braxton Hicks contractions. Everyone always said "You'll know when you're in labour, you'll know."..... Uh, yeah... okay. I didn't know for sure, but I kind of figured when I got up and walked around and they didn't go away. By 6:30am I came in and woke my husband up. I told him that I was pretty sure my water broke and I was in labour. I called the hospital and asked if I should come in, I didn't want to do the 45 minute drive for false labour. They of course told me to come in. By that point I think it sunk into my husbands brain and he jumped out of bed and was ready to go within 5 minutes. I of course had to straighten my hair and do my make-up. I know, I was in labour and that's the last thing I should have been worried about. The contractions were bearable though, so I wasn't too worried. Oh yeah, it's funny that morning we were supposed to see my OBGYN at 10am to get induced! Apparently our daughter has always made things on her terms lol. We got to the hospital within 30 minutes. By that point the contractions were getting stronger and it was harder to walk, there was  A LOT of pelvic pressure. We were admitted into the observation room on the maternity ward. There were 6 other women in labour. They set up the belly band to monitor contractions and checked my cervix. I was 3cm dilated, and 50% effaced. They wanted me to wait a while though because my contractions were still 6 minutes apart, before they put me in a labour and delivery room. By lunchtime (12 noon) They checked me again, 3 and a half cms dilated and 90% effaced. At that point my contractions were 2 minutes apart and getting stronger. They were bearable but then it happened ( what every woman warned me about.... back labour ) It radiated across my lower back and I got an extremely sharp pain near my right rib, and started puking. It faded, but I asked for something to take the edge off. ( Keep in mind my original birth plan was to use NO drugs. ) Haha silly first time mom thinking birth plans always work out.... right?  So they gave me a shot of Morphine, and the contractions were bearable again. By 1pm I was 5cm so they had me go into a delivery room. It was so much better and relaxed in there. Plus they had a bed for my husband, at that point we were both exhausted ( especially since I hadn't slept in a couple of nights ), he was so good and supportive, rubbing my back when I asked, giving me ice chips and letting me squeeze the crap out of his hand when I needed too. He was a good sport. By 530pm my OBGYN showed up and checked my cervix, I was still only 5cm dilated and fully effaced. Apparently our daughters head was so far down into the birth canal only part of my water broke. So she went in and broke the rest of it. Grossest feeling ever! It was hot, and slimy. Yuck. Didn't help I was laying in it lol. They changed the sheet and within a minute that's when the contractions hit.... and oh my did they hit hard. They literally took my breath away, and I would tense up. I was not expecting that level of pain at all. At that point I wasn't even holding my husbands hand, I was gripping the bed rail and not saying a word. ( side note: before I went into labour women told me " labour is like being stabbed with knives, it's horrible, etc, etc. ) It did NOT feel like that . It hurt yes, but not how some people described it to me. Yes I know everyone has a different tolerance for pain. I'm well aware of that. Anyways, my contractions started slowing down so they hooked me up to an IV with Pitocin, ( after not being able to find my vein, finally an older nurse got one ) They got worse again and I felt like an ass, ( when my OB broke the rest of my water she was saying how she recommends to first-time moms to get an epidural as it helps you relax and  dilate faster. Since I hadn't gotten sleep she suggested I get it. ) Within the hour after telling her no, I wanted the Anesthesiologist in there with that epidural. They took my husband out of the room and he gave it to me. I didn't feel it go in at all, and he said to allow 20 minutes for it to kick in. Nope, 5 minutes later I felt soooo much better. It was amazing, if I knew his name I'd go back and thank him. I was finally able to get some sleep.
   I woke up twice and they asked if I felt the need to push, I told them there was pressure but I didn't feel the urge, so I went back to sleep. In an hour I was fully dilated, they let me sleep until 10pm. At that point I felt a lot of pressure so she called the OB that was on call to come in after she had me do a couple practice pushes. My husband watched the whole thing! It was good that he did, because I couldn't feel my contractions so he had to tell me when to push and it was motivating especially because he kept getting so excited and saying " I can see her head, she's right there, you're doing great beautiful." I love my husband. Finally her head came out, and the OB told me that because she was a bigger baby, he might have to use forceps or the vacuum. At that point I was telling them no . She was turned the wrong way so her shoulders became stuck. He put his hands in and twisted her, they had to keep telling me to push and stop and push and stop he also said that he's never seen that good of pushing in a while, especially with an epidural in. Also he said he wouldn't have wanted me to go another week pregnant because of her size. ( his face was going red, and he was a big OB at least 6'4 ) He got her turned and at 11:02pm on January 3rd, 2013 our daughter was born. She weighed 8lbs 15.9 ounces. 21 inches long. She was basically 9 lbs lol. She didn't cry much, my husband and I were in awe, I couldn't believe that I did it. I tore and had to have 4 stitches; but our baby girl was here. 2 days later after a crappy stay at the hospital we took her home. Our adventure begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment